Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:02:08 -0700
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 08:26:39PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > >My initial argument does not invlove the language.  I don't
> > >care about the language.  My argument is that neither cvsup
> > >nor csup belong in the base system.  Both utilities can be
> > >installed from ports.  If you're going to import csup, then
> > >I hope csup goes through a security audit and you define a
> > >NO_CSUP make.conf variable.
> >
> > Does "csup" belong in the tree more, or less than cvs?
>
> csup does not belong in the base system.  cvs belongs in
> the base syste

A CVS sup'ing program does belong in the base system -- it is the best
way for tracking security updates (via the RELENG_X_Y branch).  Think of
it as FreeBSD's "MS-Windows Update" functionality.  To date, CVSup was
too difficult to easily integrate w/in /usr/src.  A new CVS sup'ing
program writting in a language supported by the toolchain in the base
system (FORTRAN would be fine, for example) should be overly welcomed
into the tree.  Don't worry guys, it would only add 1 minute to your
build world times.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)