Re: losing serial console

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:45:07 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Robert Watson wrote:

Hi,

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>
> > ok I further tested things and cannot get serial console with either
> > 4BSD or ULE with sources from around 20040707-2120 UTC so it's not a
> > problem of the scheduler.
>
> If you back out to before July 2, 2004, does life get any better?  That's
> the day John committed the preemption changes.

ok, will do that before updating to latest sources from about now.

> > Anyone ?
>
> All your settings looke reasonable to me.  Has anything changed WRT ACPI
> use on your system in the last week?  Nate committed the ACPI blacklist

actually I am testing on two hosts that had been running 4-STABLE
before or nothing at all. P133/P200 class which is far enough for some
DSL and firewalling.

> stuff, and I have several boxes that fail to properly use serial ports
> when not using ACPI.  If ACPI suddenly turned off, that could have
> triggered the problem?

no ACPI at all here ; going to preload the module now and I will see
what will happen. If this really is the problem this should be fixed
soon. No ACPI at home too on my router... should not update I guess...

*ARGL* someone (most likely me) must have turned the machine off
before leaving the office to save it a night of endless boot cycles.
Will test tomorrow morning.

PS: the (funny) thing is that serial console used to work two days
ago but the kernel paniced. I then updated srces and serial console
stopped working but the kernels now boot but panic somewhere later
forcing a reboot but I cannot see that - must be around if_tx gets
used for pppoe (I guess) :(

Going to build a pre-20040702 and latest HEAD over night and will
see what happens tomorrow morning.

Thanks for today.