Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Christian Weisgerber <naddy_at_mips.inka.de>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:27:35 +0000 (UTC)
Kirk Strauser <kirk_at_strauser.com> wrote:

> Not as long as you're on a system that supports it.  For example, OpenBSD
> doesn't have an m3 port for non-x86 platforms (at least not the last time I
> checked).  Although that doesn't directly relate to FreeBSD, it's does mean
> that cvsup probably isn't as widespread as it would be if it had a nice,
> portable C implementation.

Enter CVSync.  Which is a reasonably nice and portable C implementation
of a CVS repository synchronization protocol.  No checkout mode
yet, though.

> Would there be any way to get most of cvsup's functionality out of rsync?

No.  rsync doesn't support scan files.  Also, it doesn't use multiple
threads, which should affect performance.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy_at_mips.inka.de