Re: ethercons updated for -CURRENT

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:09:15 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Robert Watson wrote:

> In October of last year, I posted an ethernet console implementation for
> FreeBSD 5.x.  I've recently updated that implementation to work with
..
>     http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/ethercons/
>
> Specifically, the most recent drop is named:
>
>     20040709-rwatson_ethercons.tgz
> The details remain pretty much the same as before: it's a link layer
> protocol that grabs the same unofficial protocol number as the Linux
> ethernet console code.

for the archives: a paper about the linux COE (console over ethernet)
can be found here:
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix03/tech/freenix03/kistler.html

> I currently have no explicit plans to commit this to the FreeBSD source
> tree, due to reservations about grabbing a non-official protocol number,
> lack of a useful standard for ethernet console, etc.  I'm looking at using

from what I had been told:
Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF, http://www.dmtf.org/) is
working on a standard called "Remote Management Control Protocol" (RMCP).
One part of this work is SOL (Serial over LAN) which is based upon RFC2217.

Perhaps this will be the way to go in the future.

I am sorry I cannot provide any more information about this but
perhaps the pointer will help someone.

--
Greetings