Re: ethercons updated for -CURRENT

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> from what I had been told:
> Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF, http://www.dmtf.org/) is
> working on a standard called "Remote Management Control Protocol" (RMCP).
> One part of this work is SOL (Serial over LAN) which is based upon RFC2217.
>
> Perhaps this will be the way to go in the future.

This got integrated into IPMI 2.0, and is available on shipping hardware.
If I can ever locate some of said hardware, I'll try to implement a tool
to attach to it.  In the interim the vendor usually provides a Windows
tool.

The RMCP+/IPMI SOL does not use Telnet as an underlying protocol so it
doesn't use RFC2217.