Re: FreeBSD keeps hanging......

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:48:09 -0500
On 07/09/04 06:48, Johan Pettersson wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:00:38 +0200 Johan Pettersson
> <manlix_at_demonized.net> wrote:
>> My system still hangs after 30-1h usage even with the recent
>> changes in sched_ule. This is with HTT enabled. With HTT disabled
>> it seems to run just fine.
>
> Hmm, it seems to hang with HTT disabled too.

I also experienced regular hangs with my P4 (pre-HTT and no SMP in
kernel) after the most recent sched_ule/preemption changes.  These were
hard locks and I was unable to ssh in or break to debugger via
Ctrl-Alt-Esc.  I backed out revision 1.114 of sched_ule.c and the
machine has been stable since.  I don't have a serial console setup on
this machine as my other machines are headless, but I can set that up if
need be.  Off hand, the workload on the machine at the time was KDE,
Firefox, Thunderbird, Gaim, several Konsoles, and gkrellm using an
NFS-mounted home directory.

Note that this is with ACPI and without WITNESS or INVARIANTS in the
kernel.  Also, my NFS server is an SMP machine and has no problems with
the latest sched_ule.c.

Jon