Re: i need my floppy disk drive.

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 02:30:46 +0200
Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:10:45PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
>
>>h wrote:
>>
>>>is it safe to upgrade to current when i'm used to -release ?
>>
>>I'd say *definetely NO!*. I made the similar mistake a week or so ago,
>>and now the -current kernel mis-recognizes my root ATA drive (can't
>>boot; I'm stuck in running 5.2-R kernel on a 5-current world; sigh).
>

> This situation is caused by failure to follow the step by step
> instructions in UPDATING.  They very clearly state you should try your
> new kernel before updating your world.  If you do that, the risk should
> be fairly minimal.

I'm not complaining - it's on my home machine (I wouldn't even run
-current on something important). I'm just puzzled because the error is
weird (in short: disabling WITNESS causes my drive to be mis-recognized;
I *can* run the same kernel with WITNESS enabled without problems, but I
dont want to :) ), and there were no responses or similar errors
reported from other people. Just my luck I guess :(