quick interactivity? question regarding -current

From: Markie <mark.cullen_at_dsl.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:44:51 +0100
Hello,

I updated my 'do-it-all' home server box from 5.2.1-R to -CURRENT the other
day, as suggested by someone a month ago because I was having panics along
the lines of "kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small". Now, I can't
immediately tell if this upgrade has solved my problem as the first one
appeared after 50 days of uptime (ish) and the one that happened the other
day (same panic) occured after only around 20 days, this is when I decided
to go for the installkernel/world.

In the mean time, I just wanted to ask a really quick question. Before 'the
update', and also back when it was running 4.x if I remember correctly, if
I left an ssh session logged in overnight on my computer when I woke up and
started to type it would take a while for what I typed to appear on my
console - as if the box had to wake up from suspend or something. However,
now it's running -CURRENT I no longer seem to get this delay (which is
really good!). I left it overnight and when I woke up the text appeared as
I typed it as it should. I was just curious as to what might have caused
this if anyone knows :-) I haven't changed the kernel configuration at all
and it's still using the SCHED_BSD.

Whatever has been done it seems to be a real improvement anyway and i'd
like to congratulate all of you for your hard work!

Oh, while i'm on the subject of current.. I updated my 2nd workstation the
other day and it no longer wants to power down automatically when I do a
shutdown -p now. It does the "power down now" message. Along side that I
can no longer hit the power button and it'll shutdown properly, like it
used to, it just seems to go into some suspend like state and wakes up
again when I hit a key. Any ideas? It also does this suspend thing at the
safe to shutdown message and I have to now hold the power button in for 4
seconds for it to turn off :-)

Anyway, thanks alot!
Markie