Re: quick interactivity? question regarding -current

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:05:30 +1000
On Sat, 2004-Jul-10 01:44:51 +0100, Markie wrote:
>In the mean time, I just wanted to ask a really quick question. Before 'the
>update', and also back when it was running 4.x if I remember correctly, if
>I left an ssh session logged in overnight on my computer when I woke up and
>started to type it would take a while for what I typed to appear on my
>console - as if the box had to wake up from suspend or something.

If the systems are not blindingly fast and don't have massive amounts
of RAM, the most likely cause of this is the idle ssh, sshd and shell
being paged out by scheduled jobs.  The delay is them being paged back
in.

> However,
>now it's running -CURRENT I no longer seem to get this delay (which is
>really good!).

Are you doing something different as far as scheduled jobs are concerned?
(Eg you've stopped running "make buildworld" overnight)

The scope of changes in -current is probably enough to explain the
different behaviour in any case.

--
Peter Jeremy