Re: quick interactivity? question regarding -current

From: Markie <mark.cullen_at_dsl.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 05:59:59 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Jeremy" <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
To: "Markie" <mark.cullen_at_dsl.pipex.com>
Cc: <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 5:05 AM
Subject: Re: quick interactivity? question regarding -current

| On Sat, 2004-Jul-10 01:44:51 +0100, Markie wrote:
| >In the mean time, I just wanted to ask a really quick question. Before 'the
| >update', and also back when it was running 4.x if I remember correctly, if
| >I left an ssh session logged in overnight on my computer when I woke up and
| >started to type it would take a while for what I typed to appear on my
| >console - as if the box had to wake up from suspend or something.
|
| If the systems are not blindingly fast and don't have massive amounts
| of RAM, the most likely cause of this is the idle ssh, sshd and shell
| being paged out by scheduled jobs.  The delay is them being paged back
| in.

I thought that might have been it. Does it really take a second or two for that
to happen? It is just a little 350 with 128MB of RAM though... but then the fact
it doesn't delay like this anymore would suggest it doesn't take that long or
maybe it's not paged out anymore? Is there any way to tell if it's being paged
out or not?

| > However,
| >now it's running -CURRENT I no longer seem to get this delay (which is
| >really good!).
|
| Are you doing something different as far as scheduled jobs are concerned?
| (Eg you've stopped running "make buildworld" overnight)

Nope! That's why I asked really! Same kernel configuration, same services
running (apache, mysql, samba etc and quite alot more), I think I saw the same
behaviour on 4.x too, though that was a while ago and my memory isn't all that
good. I didn't have buildworld or anything running overnight in either case :-)
The box sits mostly idle at night, since it's just a home server box and I do
actually _try_ and sleep at night :-)

| The scope of changes in -current is probably enough to explain the
| different behaviour in any case.

Well it's a definate improvement as far as I am concerned, whatever has caused
it!

Thanks for your reply!