Re: quick interactivity? question regarding -current

From: Markie <mark.cullen_at_dsl.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:34:15 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Fundakowski Feldman" <green_at_freebsd.org>
To: "Markie" <mark.cullen_at_dsl.pipex.com>
Cc: <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2004 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: quick interactivity? question regarding -current

| On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 05:48:35PM +0100, Markie wrote:

| > |
| > | Did you try seeing where all the memory went?  I reimplemented KVM
| > support
| > | in vmstat -m for -CURRENT, so it should be more useful for that if you
| > get
| > | a core dump (admittedly, a rare thing ...).
| >
| > I didn't know about vmstat -m until the other day, I read something about
| > `vmstat -m | grep cred` should be really low, under 100k or something
| > (which mine is)
| >
| > I have no idea what KVM is in terms of kernel stuff :-) What should I be
| > looking for, just any entry with a high mem usage? Should I setup a cron
| > job to dump the results to a file each day so incase I do still get the
| > panic i'll be able to look at the results atleast from the day before,
| > maybe that would help me determine what was up if it's due to a memory
| > leak? At the moment the most memory seems to be in 'routetbl' - 6456k in
| > the HighUse and 1793k MemUse. All the rest are pretty much below 100k.
|
| That's an excellent plan.  I would suggest doing it more like hourly, and

:-D I'll go set that up for hourly then, just incase it does still panic with
CURRENT.

| logging to separate files each time -- the individual file unit is not the
| most resilient to a kernel panic, but a directory of separate files will
| probably stand no chance of being wiped out.  If you used one file, it
| could be truncated, put in lost+found, or maybe just lost, although I
| haven't specifically had any files that were not "recently created" lost
| during crashes.

Well, my plan was to do it so it'd save the output to, say, vmstat.10.07.04. So
it'd be a seperate file for each day, but hourly probably is alot better anyway!
Also I did find that when I first started messing about with -CURRENT (not long
before 5.1 I think) when I crashed due to the (nasty) nvidia module I ended up
with alot of data loss until I turned off write caching. I read that some hard
disks lie about when the data is written out and this isn't a softupdate issue,
is this right?

| If you're doing it live, please do vmstat -z also (vmstat -mz works); it
| should be easy to see where the problem is using both of those over time,
| but only if it's a gradual leak (which most I've seen are).

How do you mean 'live'? I will use -mz anyway, just wondering what you meant :-)
Oh and say it does panic again, should I send the list all of these logs from
say the past... say... week in a tar or what? I could also compile a debug
kernel and start using that if it still does it, if it'd help any?

| Thanks!

Thank _you_ :-)