Re: ethercons updated for -CURRENT

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_withagen.nl>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:56:42 +0200
> > On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:40, Danny Braniss wrote:
> > > The upshot off all this is, if the SOL works, then we can kiss KVM away,
> > > and as Robert said, just power and ethernet and you are set.
> >
> > You could probably use fwcons (I've only used it a little to test) but I
think
> > once it's enabled the target doesn't have to be cooperative for it to work
> > (although then you need to run firewire to your boxes as well as ethernet)
> >

> serial/firewire are ok for one computer, but when you have several, then
> this does not scale (imaging a cabinet with 30 1U boxes :-).
>
> appart from that, ethernet (once you overcome some basic security issues)
> is great to get the console.

If you can afford a rack with 30 1U servers you could also spend money on KVM
technology over IP...
They range from fairly basic, just keyboard and VGA
as far as Hires screen, mouse, keyboard and reset.

I think I saw some on a trade show as low as 150 Euro,
ethernet in/out so you don't need many extra ports, just loop all KVM together.
Problem is I lost the bag with all the leaflets..... :(

--WjW