Re: quick interactivity? question regarding -current

From: Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:28:42 -0400
On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 05:48:35PM +0100, Markie wrote:
> [...]

That's an excellent plan.  I would suggest doing it more like hourly, and
logging to separate files each time -- the individual file unit is not the
most resilient to a kernel panic, but a directory of separate files will
probably stand no chance of being wiped out.  If you used one file, it
could be truncated, put in lost+found, or maybe just lost, although I
haven't specifically had any files that were not "recently created" lost
during crashes.

If you're doing it live, please do vmstat -z also (vmstat -mz works); it
should be easy to see where the problem is using both of those over time,
but only if it's a gradual leak (which most I've seen are).

Thanks!

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \