Re: via 8237 and above-udma33 problems

From: Gary Jennejohn <garyj_at_jennejohn.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:52:27 +0200
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= writes:

> >>Put  hw.ata.ata_dma=0
> >>/boot/loader.conf
> >

> > I WANT dma! just not udma100 but udma33... so this is not what I want
> > I think there should be some
> > device.hints:dev.ata.adX.mode=blah
>
> You can just specify no dma in loader.conf and then use atacontrol to
> set the wanted mode on each device later on in rc.local or whatever you
> prefer...

Just a data point:

On my amd64 system in 64-bit mode I had to define a bash alias to turn
on DMA. Doing it in rc.local often resulted in so many DMA errors
that the system hung. Probably due to the intense disk activity which
happens during startup.

Strangely enough, the same disk exhibits absolutely no DMA errors when
I boot a 32-bit FreeBSD system.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj[at]jennejohn.org gj[at]freebsd.org gj[at]denx.de