Re: Whay is broken ATARAID that ignored?

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:00:19 +0200
Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> I reported that atarid is broken for sil0680 since Sørens last commit on 07/25
> (rev 1.79.)
> Nobody responded nor is there any comment in UPDATING.
> This is a severe bug and nobody seems to care about, at least I haven't got
> any "I know, but....."
>
> The man page still claims to support these controllers. But they've never
> really been. As soon as one drive fails, the support fails because no rebuild
> is possible (with -stable).
>
> Please remove the HPT372, sil0680 and (I tested that one today) the sil649
> from the man page as beeing supported. They are not. Neither in -current nor
> in -stable.
> People like me take these man pages as reference and purchase hardware which
> is said to be supported.
>
> Or fix it. At least there should be a note in UPDATING. It's horrible to find
> out that suddenly the system doesn't detect ar0 any more!!!
> And nobody cares about for over two weeks.......
>
> If I could fix it I would do it. Regrettably I can't. But I did painful
> tests.....

Well, you get what you paid for :)

Anyhow the problem probably is that only SiI type RAID are looked for
and you have FreeBSD native type defined since that was what was there
before the LSI/AMI stuff was added.

I'll look at it when I have time, currently I'm on vacation, a damned
well earned one if you ask me 8)

-Søren