Re: serial console config -recent changes

From: Kim Culhan <w8hdkim_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:39:20 -0700 (PDT)
--- Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
> On 07/12/04 10:00, Kim Culhan wrote:

> > On -current the best approach appears to be
> > something like:
> >
> > echo 'console=comconsole' > /boot/loader.conf.local
> >
> > This worked fine here. Now we want to increase the
> > baud rate beyond 9600.

> This has worked for me for a long time, but may not be the best way
> these days.
>
> Put the following in /etc/make.conf and recompile to set the serial
>
> console speed (as documented in /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf):
> BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED= 115200

I'll set this up, thanks.

> I have 2 machines with criss-crossed serial ports (I grew up with
> windows, so I'll use com*):
>          com1-----\ /-----com1
> Computer 1        X        Computer 2
>          com2-----/ \-----com2
>
> Thus, on either machine I can 'tip com2' and connect to the other
> computer's serial console running on com1.  This scheme gives me a
> lot
> more confidence when updating a machine remotely, as I can SSH in
> to the
> other machine and get serial console access to actually perform the
>
> update or to do damage control if things go awry.

Very good, this is exactly what I wanted to setup.

The main board is a Supermicro P4SCT+ which has a 'serial console'
option.

This can be set to relinquish the console control to the OS
when it boots.

This mode shows the raid card's bios messages at boot
so you can control it if needed, then prints the output of
the fbsd loader when it starts -perfect.

tnx
-kim