Re: Whay is broken ATARAID that ignored?

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:07:52 +0200
Am Montag, 12. Juli 2004 19:22 schrieb Gabriel Ambuehl:
> Hello Harald,
>
> Monday, July 12, 2004, 7:09:03 PM, you wrote:
> > But only if you replace the drive or  null-out the first sectors. If the
> > drive comes back after a reboot (the same drive) then you end up having
> > two raid arrays.
> > That's not what I call a working raid support!

Hello Gabriel,

> For all I know that's actually a bug in the controller firmware (there
> are a few weirdnesses in HPT controllers, actually, mine sometimes
> won't boot after detecting a supposedly degraded array which is
> usually not even broken).

It's not a controller bug since with the HighPoint driver that doesn't happen.

> >> It IS supported (in stable, anyhow, can't comment about recent
> >> CURRENT).
> >
> > No, if you create a raid array with the controllers BIOS FreeBSD doesn't
> > care about.
>
> With Highpoint and Promise it definitely does. I just installed STABLE on
> two different machines. Now Silicon Image is another matter but I
> wouldn't bet 1 cent on that crap.

Right, and that's the reason why I think it should be removed from the man
page or at least include a big warning that this controller doesn't work for
raid1 arrays.
The Promise over all is well supported, I couldn't produce a sezenario where
rebuild failed. The HPT bios-generated array also is detected, that's correct
but I talked about the Silicon Image.

> > Also of you Shutdown the machine, power on the machine, modify files,
> > power down, reconnect the drive and power up again FreeBSD (and the
> > controller)
>
> Controller's bug. How would FreeBSD know about that? Now of course the
> controller should know better but those "software" RAID controllers are
> about as dumb as it gets.

Again, it doesn't matter why it fails to do it's job, if it can't it should
not be listed as working in the man page.

[...]
> > but that's not a reason to list
> > controllers as working when they are not.
> > Not to mention the completely broken ataraid in -current.
>
> As for CURRENT, I've stopped caring for it (I lack the time). It's
> broken in so many places and won't be fit for production a long time.

I really wonder why nobody cares about.
One can replace almost everything which is not well supported but not the
storage.

Best regards,

-Harry

P.S. I'm running a raid5 with the 3ware on a 5.2-current snapshot without any
problems. You can see
http://www.schmalzbauer.de/articles.php?mode=comments&id=3 for more info
(it's gune)