Re: CPUTYPE=p4 & kernel config

From: Johan Pettersson <manlix_at_demonized.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:16:02 +0200
> so here are two different configs
> <conf_1>
> machine i386
> cpu I486_CPU
> cpu I586_CPU
> cpu I686_CPU
> </conf_1>
>
> <conf_2>
> machine i386
> cpu I686_CPU
> </conf_2>
>
> for the first config i should enable it manually. (for a P4 machine)
>
> and in second one it is enabled by default so i dont need to add
> enable to kern. conf
>
> should i put options CPU_DISABLE_SSE for P2 and P3 machines?
>
> would not using disable option on a p2 machine with kern. conf like
> second couse any ill effects? like not being able to run the binaries
> compiled with -march=pentium4 ...
>
> and is this enable disable automaticly has anything to do with CPUTYPE
> option on the /etc/make.conf

'options CPU_ENABLE_SSE' is enabled with both conf_1 and conf_2. And you
don't need to use CPU_DISABLE_SSE. P3 supports SSE. And in the case with
P2, the support for SSE is in the kernel but the cpu doesnt use it.

I don't think you can run binaries compiled with -march=pentium4 och a
P2... or could you? Please correct me if im wrong. :)

No, make.conf don't have any impact on the CPU_ENABLE_SSE-option.
CPUTYPE in make.conf just sets -march for kernel/world/ports builds.