Re: CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

From: Barney Wolff <barney_at_databus.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:20:56 -0400
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:14:01PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I have been involved in FreeBSD since we created the ncvs repository
> ten years and two months ago and barring minor mistakes here and
> there "make world" has performed the correct sequence of operations
> since then.

Could you please enlighten the rest of us as to when the sequence of
operations performed by "make world" is a useful thing to do?  The
only case I can imagine is that of a developer who has changed a .h
file that is widely used by userland but not by the kernel, and I
find it hard to imagine that happens often enough to weigh against
the continual damage to new users from this deceptively inviting target.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.