Re: CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:06:16 +0200
On Wednesday 14 July 2004 12:54, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:48:39 +0200
>
> Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 July 2004 12:30, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> > > 	From man mergemaster:
> > >
> > >      -p          Pre-buildworld mode.  Compares only files known to be
> > > essen- tial to the success of {build|install}world, including
> > > /etc/make.conf.
> >
> > This seems wrong to me.
>
> 	It did to me too, but last time I raised it I was told quite
> definitely that this was indeed correct. AFAIK the only time mergemaster -p
> has done anything it was only needed for installworld but it is intended
> to cover the case that something might be needed before a buildworld one
> day.

On a related note, the make.conf comparison is close to useless - at least it
is very annoying, perhaps confusing for some. The example make.conf that is
used for the comparison has only very few entries and as soon as something as
basic as the perl port is installed (and the entries added by 'use.perl port'
are present in make.conf), the comparison will pop up a diff.

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org