Re: CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:03:40 -0400
At 11:30 AM +0100 7/14/04, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:03:10 +0200
>Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net> wrote:
>
>  > mergemaster -p needs to happen before installworld, earlier than
>  > that is not required.
>
>	From man mergemaster:
>
>      -p     Pre-buildworld mode.  Compares only files known to
>             be essential to the success of {build|install}world,
>             including /etc/make.conf.
>
>	I rest my case.

Someday we have to clean these instructions up, and make sure we
have a short, consistent set of instructions.  And that we are
saying the same thing everywhere we say anything about updating
the system.  So far, we have never *needed* `mergemaster -p'
before buildworld, and I think it is confusing to tell users it
should be done then.

Why?  Because we claim to support:
       Non-root user, on some machine does:
           buildworld
           buildkernel
       Then go to many different machines, and as root do:
           installkernel
           mergemaster -p
           reboot
           installworld
           mergemaster

If `mergemaster -p' is done before *buildworld*, then that implies
it only has to be done once -- even when installing on multiple
machines.

And the fact of the matter is that any checks which *do* have to
happen before buildworld, are done *in* /usr/src/Makefile by
the target 'upgrade_checks'.  mergemaster -p is not needed before
buildworld.

Also note that in /usr/src/Makefile itself, we explicitly state
that the correct order is:

# For individuals wanting to upgrade their sources (even if only a
# delta of a few days):
#
# 1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
# 2.  `make buildworld'
# 3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
# 4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
# 5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
# 6.  `mergemaster -p'
# 7.  `make installworld'
# 8.  `mergemaster'
# 9.  `reboot'

In some sense I don't care what the order is, but we should not
be claiming one order in /usr/src/Makefile, and have a different
order implied by the man page for mergemaster.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org