Re: CVSUP and 5.2.1 RELEASE

From: Eirik Oeverby <ltning_at_anduin.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:39:04 +0200
Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 9:39 PM +0200 7/14/04, Eirik Oeverby wrote:
>
>> Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>

>>> Someday we have to clean these instructions up, and make sure we
>>> have a short, consistent set of instructions.  And that we are
>>> saying the same thing everywhere we say anything about updating
>>> the system.  So far, we have never *needed* `mergemaster -p'
>>> before buildworld, and I think it is confusing to tell users it
>
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^ - NOTE
>
>>> should be done then.
>>

>> This is NOT true. Recently mergemaster -p insisted that I add
>> certain users and groups to my passwd/group files, to support
>> pf. Without that, I bet installworld would have gone down in
>
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^ - NOTE
>
>> flames .. correct me if I'm wrong (or don't bother, since this
>> is a pretty unimportant point anyway :)
>

> Hmm.  I fail to see your point.  What I said was:
>
> "We have never needed `mergemaster -p' before *-BUILDWORLD-*".

Sorry, I apologise - read you wrong there.
Still - as far as I understand, the discussion is about make world,
which does both, with no mergemaster in between. My comment was aimed at
proving that mergemaster *can* be important at times.

Again, sorry for reading a bit fast.

/Eirik

> You then emphatically state that I am wrong, and offer an
> example which talks about INSTALLWORLD.  Not BUILDWORLD --
> which is what *I* was talking about -- but INSTALLWORLD.
>
> I don't want to sound like a screaming lunatic here, but I do
> think you have missed a very significant detail in what I was
> saying.  Note that I also quoted /usr/src/Makefile, which says:
>
>>> # 1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source
>>> tree).
>>> # 2.  `make buildworld'
>>> # 3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is
>>> GENERIC).
>>> # 4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is
>>> GENERIC).
>>> # 5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader
>>> prompt).
>>> # 6.  `mergemaster -p'
>>> # 7.  `make installworld'
>>> # 8.  `mergemaster'
>>> # 9.  `reboot'
>

> Note that this *does* do mergemaster -p before installworld.  Not
> before buildworld, but definitely before installworld.

Yep. My bad, sorry.