Re: nfsd problems with FreeBSD 5.2.1

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:46:40 -0500
Mike Thomas wrote:
[..snip stuff that is now null..]

>> What about network interface errors?
>

> To be honest, i'm not sure how to check for these, in linux/solaris,
> ifconfig itself prints out the errors, this isn't the case (at least
> with ifconfig -a) on FreeBSD, as far as I can tell.

netstat -i

>> If you watch an iostat during the busy time, is your disk being slammed?
>

> iostat seems to never go over 30k/sec average,

Ok, that's obviously pretty low.. How about transactions per second (tps)?

>> If you are using uw-imap, how big are the mailboxes?
>>
> See, this is the thing that I think may be causing the problems. We
> are using uw-imap, and the mailboxes vary anywhere from 100k to 600mb
> (some people are irresponsible mail users!) The thing is though, even
> in times of high load like someone opening or accessing a mailbox of
> this size, it shouldn't be causing the box to go down to its knees,
> should it?

I don't think it should cause this, but uw-imap's single mailbox storage
isn't exactly efficient for large mailboxes.. although I use it
internally and we have some large mailboxes too, on a much less 'beefy'
server with no problems (it is running FreeBSD 4.X)..

> I've recompiled the machine with 5.2.1-release-p9 and disabled
> hyperthreading, we'll see how that goes.

Keep us posted - if nothing but for the archives..

Out of curiousity - did this machine run smoothly at some point before?
If so, is the only that changed an upgrade to a more recent -current?

Just for a reference point - I'm using -current as of May 25th on some
machines and it is (so far) very stable and solid.. YMMV

Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.