Re: vmnet.ko missing - but it's there! - vmware and crashes

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:59:24 -0400
At 12:01 PM -0400 7/21/04, Robert Watson wrote:

>I've been wondering if we shouldn't bring the VMware modules into
>the base source tree for some time -- the license is probably an
>issue, but VMware is a valuable tool for development, and I'm
>amazed at how frequently and accurately I shoot my feet due to
>stale versions of the module ...

It would be great to have more reliable support for VMware, as
it can be a very helpful tool.  I am also hopeful that the guys
at http://www.serenityvirtual.com/ will eventually get to their
virtual-machine product, which is supposed to run natively under
FreeBSD.  Right now they're still in the beta-version process,
and they have not started to beta-test the product which will
run with FreeBSD as the host OS.  (perhaps they're waiting for
5.3-stable... :-).

Right now my solution is to keep running VMware 2 on my
freebsd 4.10-system.  Neither of those are changing much, so
that works well enough for my purposes.  But if I had an option
which would reliably work on a 5.x-system, that would be very
helpful.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org