Re: vmnet.ko missing - but it's there! - vmware and crashes

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:01:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Scott Long wrote:

> > Additional ABI support: linux.
> > Starting cron.
> > Local package initialization:link_elf: symbol linux_ioctl_register_handler
> > undefined
> > kldload: can't load /usr/local/lib/vmware/modules/vmnet.ko: No such file or
> > directory
>
> Is your linux.ko module out of date?  You have a mis-match somewhere
> here.

Or, alternatively, the symbols exported by the Linux emulation module have
changed, and the VMware port hasn't caught up (or the local copy needs
updating).  Something is definitely out of sync, needless to say, but it
could be that the VMware module needs updating in the pseudo-vendor.

I've been wondering if we shouldn't bring the VMware modules into the base
source tree for some time -- the license is probably an issue, but VMware
is a valuable tool for development, and I'm amazed at how frequently and
accurately I shoot my feet due to stale versions of the module when I am
using it (such as when on travel and I need a debug target).  This isn't
just a property of failing to rebuild modules, but that the Linux
emulation code changes and the VMware modules need to be modified to take
that into account...

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research