Re: vmnet.ko missing - but it's there! - vmware and crashes

From: Mark Santcroos <marks_at_ripe.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:06:01 +0200
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:01:40PM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
> I've been wondering if we shouldn't bring the VMware modules into the base
> source tree for some time -- the license is probably an issue

Bringing it simply in the base tree is indeed not an option.

What I think that we need is mechanism to connect 3rd party modules to the
build.

So that when the kernel is rebuild, the 3rd party modules are rebuild too.
Of course there is a change that the module won't compile, but we should
create a mechanism then where we can disable that module easily until the
port gets updated too.

IMHO the most important point to reach is that it can't happen anymore that
we load an out-of-sync vmware module at boot time and panic. It should either
be correctly rebuild or not installed at all (and removed).

Mark