Re: Erros in: make -j 16 buildword

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:47:05 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> From: "Doug White" <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > One way or another it seems that I can no longer buildworld with -j16.
> > > -j8 works perfectly, but -j16 fails consistently at:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Unless anybody has suggestions of which programs generate these tearse
> > > messages???
> > > Or a way to get make to be more informative???
> >
> > You need to capture the entire output since the error is buried in there.
> > Make doesn't abort -j builds until all the subprocesses are finished, and
> > they can run for a long time...
>
> You know how long the output of a buildworld is, right??
> When the errors are reported, visually it is at the point where it normally
> looks like it is done.

Its not that bad. There's a large number of people that log their builds,
and besides, diskspace is cheap!

> Building ports gives you notice of the directory in which it started to come up
> from thus telling you which package was in error.....

Port builds aren't done in parallel. The error was printed at the point of
the error, but it doesn't cause all the other subprocesses to be killed
immediately, so they run to completion.

> Maybe I'll see if I can put something like this in make of the makefiles....

Good luck...