Re: Erros in: make -j 16 buildword

From: Kent Stewart <kstewart_at_owt.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:05:18 -0700
On Thursday 22 July 2004 11:47 am, Doug White wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> > From: "Doug White" <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > You need to capture the entire output since the error is buried
> > > in there. Make doesn't abort -j builds until all the subprocesses
> > > are finished, and they can run for a long time...
> >
> > You know how long the output of a buildworld is, right??
> > When the errors are reported, visually it is at the point where it
> > normally looks like it is done.
>
> Its not that bad. There's a large number of people that log their
> builds, and besides, diskspace is cheap!

I am one of these people. I figure that if you don't log, then you must
think your time isn't worth anything because you have to rerun it to
log the problem. I created a directory called /var/log/build to hold
the logs.

I don't have any MP systems and -j* was always slower than no -j. With a
no -j log, you don't have to rerun the build to find the problem. I
never seem to have enough of "me-time" but the system doesn't care what
it does :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart