Re: fixing out of order first fragment processing?

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:59:12 +0200
On Thursday 22 July 2004 23:34, othermark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is one of those obscure, yet well known issues in FreeBSD,
> some network stacks, like Linux, send the udp/icmp fragment
> first (if multiple frags -- in reverse order), then the orginal
> packet with the header.
>
> In -current, we still cannot process this simple fragged icmp-echo
> request from a Linux host.  For example, 'ping -c 1 -s 1500 <freebsd ip>'.
>
> FreeBSD discards the frag(s) and when it sees the initial packet with
> header waits for the frags.
>
> So two questions:
>
> 1. is there a gnats pr?  I tried various searches with no success.
> 2. are there workarounds/patches?

Activation of pf with a
	scrub in on <interface> fragment reassemble
rule works as workaround. In every case you have to decide if you want to
invest the required memory to store fragments, which might make you
easy/easier prey for DoS-attacks. Usually, for an average gateway the cost is
worth the gain (= increased security).

--
/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier_at_freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661