xl(4) autonegotiation trouble - ng_pppoe related?

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:30:01 +0200
Hi,

as of a few weeks ago, there are troubles connecting to T-DSL, the
largest ADSL provider in Germany, at least with xl(4) and first "T-DSL"
generation Siemens ADSL modems.

I've chased this and found some results that I've added to kern/69133.

The problem is that outgoing PPPoE packets (user-space ppp) don't seem
to appear on the wire whenever the peer does not offer auto-negotiation
but the xl interface is set to "media auto" (default). Switching off
autonegotiation (ifconfig xl1 media 10baseT/UTP) makes the packets go
out to the wire.

This may be some incompatibility between xl and ng_pppoe, as xl with
rp-pppoe (from ports) works, and vr with ng_pppoe works, too.

More details are given in:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/69133

Any insight?

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)