Re: xl(4) autonegotiation trouble - ng_pppoe related?

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:50:24 +0200
On Friday 23 July 2004 17:30, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as of a few weeks ago, there are troubles connecting to T-DSL, the
> largest ADSL provider in Germany, at least with xl(4) and first "T-DSL"
> generation Siemens ADSL modems.
>
> I've chased this and found some results that I've added to kern/69133.
>
> The problem is that outgoing PPPoE packets (user-space ppp) don't seem
> to appear on the wire whenever the peer does not offer auto-negotiation
> but the xl interface is set to "media auto" (default). Switching off
> autonegotiation (ifconfig xl1 media 10baseT/UTP) makes the packets go
> out to the wire.

Well, if your DSL-modem does not do autonegotiation you have to set the media
type manually. It's quite obvious that you can't do pppoEthernet w/o a
working ethernet link. Anyhow, from reading the (long) PR audit trail it
seems that some of the newer xl(4) changes broke autonegotiation. Would be
very helpful if you could narrow it down somemore i.e. give a last working
version.

--
/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier_at_freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661