Re: xl(4) autonegotiation trouble - ng_pppoe related?

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:08:13 +0200
Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net> writes:

> Well, if your DSL-modem does not do autonegotiation you have to set
> the media type manually.

No I don't. In the absense of auto-negotiation on one side, the other
will "read" the link beat, set the speed accordingly and pick
half-duplex.

This has always worked and still works, the link followed all speeds I
configured on a Linux peer, whether the Linux machine offered
autonegotiate or not.

> It's quite obvious that you can't do pppoEthernet w/o a working
> ethernet link.

The link IS working: if I use rp-pppoe, a user-space PPPoE driver, it
works on the same interface where ppp (with ng_pppoe) fails.

ppp.conf contains these:

tdsl:
  set device PPPoE:xl1

tdsl-rp:
  set device "!/usr/local/sbin/pppoe -U -I xl1"

tdsl-rp works, tdsl does not.

With disabling autoselect, the speed and duplex reading remains the same
in "ifconfig", 10baseT/UTP *without* <full-duplex> tag, but without
autoselect, tdsl also works.

> Anyhow, from reading the (long) PR audit trail it seems that some of
> the newer xl(4) changes broke autonegotiation. Would be very helpful
> if you could narrow it down somemore i.e. give a last working version.

Ah well, the oldest version that compiled for me was if_xl.c 1.170. That
one was broken already.

The problem need not necessarily be in if_xl.c though, have there been
ng_pppoe or ng_ether changes recently? Haven't had the time to check yet
as it is a cumbersome process.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)