Re: HEADSUP: X.Org conversion

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:46:22 -0500
Eric Anholt wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 14:31, Eric Anderson wrote:
>

>>Eric Anholt wrote:
>>

>>>OK, the final version of the X.Org conversion patch has hit the tree.
>>>No ports appear to be broken by the upgrade at this time.  X.Org has
>>>been made the default X distribution on -current.  Other versions of
>>>FreeBSD retain the same default X distribution (XFree86) but can upgrade
>>>by setting X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg in /etc/make.conf.
>>>

>>Sorry if I'm in the stone age here, but I why is this better than
>>XFree86?  Just curious.
>>

>It's newer than our old XFree86 4.3 and supports far more hardware.
>It's also where current X developers are working, so it's where new
>features will be first.  It also doesn't have the new XFree86 license.
>You could read xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/CHANGELOG and xc/ChangeLog
>to see what actually changed.  (Hint: a lot.)

Cool!  So I can expect all the same stuff that works in the -snap
version (4.3.99 I think?) of XFree86 to work on X.Org stuff?  In
particular, I need the laptop/lcd screen turning off feature that works
in -snap but not the built in XFree86 with acpi.

I'll give it a try and report problems..

Thanks Eric for the hard work!

Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.