Re: HEADSUP: X.Org conversion

From: Daniel Lang <dl_at_leo.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:04:15 +0200
Hi Eric,

Eric Anholt wrote on Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 12:11:09PM -0700:
> OK, the final version of the X.Org conversion patch has hit the tree.
> No ports appear to be broken by the upgrade at this time.  X.Org has
> been made the default X distribution on -current.  Other versions of
> FreeBSD retain the same default X distribution (XFree86) but can upgrade
> by setting X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg in /etc/make.conf.
>
> To upgrade, you must remove your XFree86 ports and install the xorg
> ports.  It couldn't be done with portupgrade, unfortunately, because we
> are keeping the XFree86 ports around.  To upgrade:
[..]

Why does "keeping the XFree86 ports around" prevent one from
using portupgrade? I can specify a different port to
upgrade with with -o, like (simplified):

portupgrade -o x11/xorg XFree86-4.3.0_X

or are there other reasons why this is not possible?

Cheers,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock        - "Do you love yourself ?" - "Yes!" (Isar 12) -
 Daniel Lang * dl_at_leo.org * +49 89 2600 8122 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/