Re: Vinum status

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:22:33 +0930
On Saturday, 24 July 2004 at 14:24:35 -0400, Mike B wrote:
> Mario Doria wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a box which I use to play around with freebsd-current, it has
>> a large mirrored vinum setup and that is why I want to know if
>> anybody out there is running recent -CURRENT sources.
>>
>> Specifically, I'm interested in knowing if the "panic: dangling
>> vnode" problem is still aroud; also, if by doing "vinum start" and
>> "vinum stop" repeatedly, the vinum config reports a disk as crashed.
>
> As I understand it vinum from the 4.x line is not expected to work
> in -CURRENT, although some people have had a little luck with it.

Agreed, I wouldn't recommend this.  The only differences between the
two are specific to -CURRENT.

> I've been using gvinum and the geom_vinum module with good
> results. To build it search the archives for a message with the
> subject line "geom_vinum committed".

I think it's about time to recognize that Vinum in -CURRENT *is*
gvinum.  I thought it was a mistake to invent a new name, and I still
do.  Lukas, how about changing the name back again and calling the old
Vinum something else, for people who still need it?

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog_at_FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.