Re: Vinum status

From: Mike B <meb_at_cinci.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:58:17 -0400
Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

snipped...

>>As I understand it vinum from the 4.x line is not expected to work
>>in -CURRENT, although some people have had a little luck with it.
>

> Agreed, I wouldn't recommend this.  The only differences between the
> two are specific to -CURRENT.
>

>>I've been using gvinum and the geom_vinum module with good
>>results. To build it search the archives for a message with the
>>subject line "geom_vinum committed".
>

> I think it's about time to recognize that Vinum in -CURRENT *is*
> gvinum.  I thought it was a mistake to invent a new name, and I still
> do.  Lukas, how about changing the name back again and calling the old
> Vinum something else, for people who still need it?
>
> Greg

I agree that it should have the same name, but the gvinum command
interpreter simply isn't ready. As it stands the only command that works
EVERY time is the create command (albeit differently than 4.x vinum). I
would expect that most of the commands listed by doing 'help' at the
gvinum prompt should work before gvinum is renamed to vinum. This is in
no way a slam against all the hard work that has gone into gvinum, I
just think leaving it separate until it is ready is preferable to being
inundated with a thousand "Command foo doesn't work in vinum, help!!!"
questions. :) Thanks again for all your hard work,

Mike