Re: unable to boot after updating to current

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:33:20 -0400
At 8:57 PM -0700 7/24/04, moron wrote:
>Howdy.  I recently installed FreeBSD using an ISO of 5.2.1.
>After everything was up and running I started the process
>of bringing things up to date via a cvsup for the ports
>heirarchy and for src.
>
>I followed the docs as far as...

>...  Mergemaster complained about MAKEDEV not being found
>but otherwise seemed to complete alright.

If it complained about MAKEDEV not being found, then I expect
you are "updating" to a 4.10-stable system, even though that
is not what you intended to do.  There is absolutely no reason
that mergemaster would need MAKEDEV on a 5.x system.

My guess is that you cvsup'ed to the wrong tag.  If true, this
is bound to mess up your system pretty badly.  If I were you,
I would start completely over by installing from the ISO.  Just
newfs everything, unless you have some of your own files that
you need to save.  Don't bother to "upgrade", just start over.

Then we have to find out why your cvsup left you with a 4.x
system instead of a 5.x system.  What did you use as a 'cvsup'
file?  What value does that file have for "tag="?  It should
have a line that looks something like:

*default tag=.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org