unable to boot after updating to current

From: moron <moron_at_industrial.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:57:17 -0700
Howdy.  I recently installed FreeBSD using an ISO of 5.2.1.   After everything
was up and running I started the process of bringing things up to date via a
cvsup for the ports heirarchy and for src.

I followed the docs as far as:

****
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# reboot

You should boot in single user mode (using boot -s from loader prompt for
example). Then run:

# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster
# reboot
****

The first reboot with the new kernel was fine so I continued on with the
mergemaster and installworld steps.  Mergemaster complained about MAKEDEV not
being found but otherwise seemed to complete alright.  I have to admit that
it was late when I did this and I didn't really clue in about the
ramifications of that and just did the reboot.

Post reboot I end up at a single user prompt and am told that neither kernel
nor kernel.old can be found.  Performing an ls shows that "/" cannot be found
which is why the boot no doubt fails.

To get back in I had to perform an "upgrade" from the CD of the base install.
This got me so I could boot again.  I then retried the buildworld /
installkernel steps again paid closer attention to the mergemaster stage.
Again, mergemaster complained about MAKEDEV so when the process was finished
I looked and saw no MAKEDEV available.  I tried copying it manually to /dev
which was not allowed by the OS.  From what I see now it looks like the issue
is that MAKEDEV is deprecated and that devfs handles all the device nodes.

So the problem at this point then is that I have no idea why the boot is
failing since the kernel updated alone is fine but after installworld, "/"
goes bye bye.  I don't get far enough into the boot process to have any sort
of logs.  Also, when I tried a "lsdev" from the "#" prompt, the machine hung.

The machine has a Shuttle all in one motherboard (sorry, I am not physically
by it right this second so cannot be more specific) with a Duron, two drives,
one a new Western Digital 80 gig and the other an 80 gig of unknown make (I
can dig up the specifics on Monday when I have physical access to the machine
again, right now SSH is borked).

Any tips on how to deal with this appreciated.

Cheers

--
---> (culture) http://industrial.org : (label)  http://deterrent.net
---> (community) http://ampfea.org : (hire me) http://codegrunt.com