Problems with ntp4.2 when names resolve to IPv6 addresses

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:20:16 -0700
After the update of ntp in CURRENT to 4.2.0, my systems stopped working
because the servers specified in ntp.conf had AAAA records associated
with them. If the IPv6 address is not reachable, ntpd does not seem to
give up and try the IPv4 address. It looks to me like it just gives up.

I did not notice any problem while I was on an IPv6 connected network at
work or while on travel at a networking conference as they have IPv6
connectivity, but when I tried from home, where my broadband provider
does not provide any IPv6 routing, ntp simply spits out messages that it
failed to connect to each server.

Is this a problem with the vendor code or is it the result of some
FreeBSD patch?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)