Re: Vinum status

From: Lukas Ertl <le_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:30:04 +0200 (CEST)
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Matthias Schuendehuette wrote:

> Jul 22 21:27:13 current kernel:
> swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 66119,size 4096, error 12
> Jul 22 21:27:13 current kernel:
> swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 612,size 4096, error 12
> Jul 22 21:27:13 current kernel:
> swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 66120,size 12288, error 12
> Jul 22 21:27:13 current kernel:
> swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 613,size 8192, error 12
> [... repeatedly]

I cannot really repeat that.  I put /usr/obj on a geom_vinum RAID5 and
that worked fine.  Maybe you're low on memory?  Is swap also on a
geom_vinum volume?

> I noticed that geom_vinum RAID5 is about twice as fast as 'classic'
> vinum RAID5 concerning sequential write and has therefor a higher
> CPU-usage as before - but that should not prevent the swap_pager from
> working...

I'm really astonished that you experience that performance. :-)  My tests
showed that vinum is faster as geom_vinum in the RAID5 case (yet).

> Another problem occurs if geom_vinum.ko is loaded via loader.conf - it
> does not panic any more (as it does about two weeks ago), but it does
> not collect all subdisks of a RAID5-plex *at boottime*. If I start
> gvinum if the system is up (multiuser), there are no problems any more
> collecting *all* subdisks available...

That should be fixed by now.

> But, OK, that's alpha-software... I try to find out where the problems
> are and report them to Lukas. I'm sure he will working on that if he
> has overcome the more private nuisances he has in the moment...

Thanks. :-)

cheers,
le

--