suspend/resume problems (APM) on Thinkpad T40

From: Anders Odberg <anders.odberg_at_usit.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:06:16 +0200
Hi,

I have a Thinkpad T40 (model 2373-94G) running FreeBSD-5-CURRENT. Until the
beginning of June, using APM to suspend/resume worked great on this
machine. On every cvsup I've tried after the beginning of June, suspend
seems to work fine, but when resuming, the machine will simply freeze.
I get my prompt back on the display, but no input is accepted, the machine
is completely dead, and needs to be power-cycled.

Have anybody else seen this problem and found a solution? Since I really
need suspend/resume, I'm still running on kernel-source from 2004-05-27,
but it would be great to be able to upgrade to later source.

I've tried ACPI instead of APM, suspend/resume with S3 works fine using the
latest cvsup, but this drains the battery *much* faster than with APM, so
this is not an option for now (the battery only lasts ~10hours with suspend
using ACPI, while suspend using APM lasts a week or so).

(On my Thinkpad A21e, on the other hand, suspend/resume using APM works fine
 even with the most recent cvsup, so something must be special with the T40.)

Thanks,
        -Anders.