Re: magic sysrq keys functionality

From: Arne Schwabe <arne_at_rfc2549.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:01:15 +0200
Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 12:54:39PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
>> > I think it would be prudent to add a nice fat "WARNING:" printf to the
>> > boot process.  It's really not obvious that FreeBSD defaults to having
>> > your hard drives run "unsafely," even though it is usually faster.
>> >

>> I think that this was discussed too.  The problem is that Linux and
>> Windows also silently default to having it on, and breaking from that
>> status quo causes too much haertburn.
>
> The status quo of FreeBSD and Linux shouldn't really apply to FreeBSD...
> we're supposed to be about stability and correctness.

Solaris on Sparc (don't know about i386) has a nice way of doing this,
it also does _not_ sync your disk in case of a panic but you call sync
from the OpenBoot Prompt.

[insert a OpenBoot is better than i386 bios flame here]

Arne
--
compiling millions of tiny c-programs...done
checking for a working configure script... not found