Re: magic sysrq keys functionality

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:42:15 -0600 (MDT)
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 12:54:39PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> > > I think it would be prudent to add a nice fat "WARNING:" printf to the
> > > boot process.  It's really not obvious that FreeBSD defaults to having
> > > your hard drives run "unsafely," even though it is usually faster.
> > >

> > I think that this was discussed too.  The problem is that Linux and
> > Windows also silently default to having it on, and breaking from that
> > status quo causes too much haertburn.
>
> The status quo of FreeBSD and Linux shouldn't really apply to FreeBSD...
> we're supposed to be about stability and correctness.

Whoa there.  What part of 'biblically bad things happen when you change
this' did you not understand?  Go look in the email archives to see the
previous discussion.  In short, I agree that it's not ideal, but I don't
agree that your assertion that it must be changed.  Not everything is
black and white here.

Scott