Re: Questionable code in sys/dev/sound/pcm/channel.c

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
On 27 Jul, Mathew Kanner wrote:
> On Jul 26, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>> Conrad J. Sabatier wrote this message on Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 16:35 -0500:
>> > Why the formulaic calculation of timeout, if it's simply going to be
>> > unconditionally set to 1 immediately afterwards anyway?  What's going on
>> > here?
>>
>> Well, if you look at the annotations, that absolute set of timeout was
>> added in rev 1.65 by cg with the comment:
>> tweaks to reduce latency/pauses in output
>>

> 	I think this has been raised on the mailling list before.
> IIRC, the logic for this is to check frequently for dead channels but
> CG is the authoriy.

My suspicion is that this change was made to reduce the consequences of
lost wakeups from the interrupt routine.  This would have been more of a
problem when tsleep() was used in chn_sleep() and shouldn't be needed
now that the top and bottom halves of the code use the channel lock and
chn_sleep() uses msleep() to atomically release the lock and wait for
the wakeup from the interrupt code.  That said, setting timeout to 1
shouldn't hurt anything and will just waste a bit of CPU time.

>> > Also, at the end of the function:
>> >
>> >     if (count <= 0) {
>> >         c->flags |= CHN_F_DEAD;
>> >         printf("%s: play interrupt timeout, channel dead\n", c->name);
>> >     }
>> >
>> >     return ret;
>> > }
>>
>> that was changed in rev1.52 (by cg also), and previously was just a check
>> for count == 0..
>>
>> So, I'd recommend a message off to cg and ask why he made this changes...

The original version of the code always set timeout to 1 and looped on
(count > 0), so count could never go negative.  When the code was
changed to set count to something larger than 1, count could go negative
if (hz % timeout != 0), so the condition for setting CHN_F_DEAD had to
be modified accordingly.

My suspicion is that there is sometimes enough latency in executing the
interrupt routine that the hardware DMA pointer is wrapping and
chn_dmaupdate() is calculating delta as zero.  This would cause
chn_wrfeed() not to consume any data from the software buffer (and skip
the wakeup()), which might be enough to cause the chn_write() to time
out while waiting for space to become available in the software buffer.
It would be interesting to enable the debug code in chn_dmaupdate(), and
add (delta == 0) as a condition to trigger the device_printf().

The bigger question is what is the cause of the latency ...