Re: Questionable code in sys/dev/sound/pcm/channel.c

From: Mathew Kanner <mat_at_cnd.mcgill.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:23:27 -0400
On Jul 26, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Conrad J. Sabatier wrote this message on Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 16:35 -0500:
> > Why the formulaic calculation of timeout, if it's simply going to be
> > unconditionally set to 1 immediately afterwards anyway?  What's going on
> > here?
>
> Well, if you look at the annotations, that absolute set of timeout was
> added in rev 1.65 by cg with the comment:
> tweaks to reduce latency/pauses in output

	I think this has been raised on the mailling list before.
IIRC, the logic for this is to check frequently for dead channels but
CG is the authoriy.

> > Also, at the end of the function:
> >
> >     if (count <= 0) {
> >         c->flags |= CHN_F_DEAD;
> >         printf("%s: play interrupt timeout, channel dead\n", c->name);
> >     }
> >
> >     return ret;
> > }
>
> that was changed in rev1.52 (by cg also), and previously was just a check
> for count == 0..
>
> So, I'd recommend a message off to cg and ask why he made this changes...

	I have no clue about this one.

	--Mat

--
	We peer so suspiciously at each other that we cannot see
	that we Canadians are standing on the mountaintop of human