Re: /usr/ports/UPDATING announcement (was: Re: Xorg built fails on CURRENT: can't find Xauth.h)

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:34:31 +0200
On Wednesday 28 July 2004 19:00, Joan Picanyol wrote:

> > I'm all for announcing it.  I never heard of it until last week.  I too
> > was told to read it, I was stupid for not reading it, why aren't you
> > reading it
> Me too :o

[...]

> > It needs to go out on freebsd-announce IMHO.
>
> And the Handbook as well.

That's all somewhat beside the point, IMHO (although it really should be
documented in the handbook). It was announced (here), many people saw it,
others didn't. And people will still miss things regardless of how many
places you announce them in.

The most effective way to spread the news actually _is_ the process you've
been going through: Someone tells you in a more or less friendly way about
some new thing (perhaps after you've been complaining about something in a
more or less friendly way because you missed an announcement). Just ignore
the bozos who call you dumb and care about the useful pieces of
information. :)

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org