Re: /usr/ports/UPDATING announcement (was: Re: Xorg built fails on CURRENT: can't find Xauth.h)

From: Daniel Lang <dl_at_leo.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:39:05 +0200
Hi,

Michael Nottebrock wrote on Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:34:31PM +0200:
[..]
> That's all somewhat beside the point, IMHO (although it really should be
> documented in the handbook). It was announced (here), many people saw it,
> others didn't. And people will still miss things regardless of how many
> places you announce them in.
[..]

But I guess, a really large amount of FreeBSD users do read
the src/UPDATING file. Why not announce the counter-part
there?

A small paragraph on top, above or below the "Why is 5.x slow"
item, or maybe just a regular dated entry (but should have a
current date, not one of the past, or people will again miss it).

Here is a sample entry (no patch, as my UPDATING is not up to date):

[..]
Please note, that there is now a separate /usr/ports/UPDATING
file to comment on important changes affecting ports (like the
XFree86 -> Xorg transition). You are strongly advised to also check
/usr/ports/UPDATING in addition this file.
[..]

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                 - Work is for people, who don't surf -
 Daniel Lang * dl_at_leo.org * +49 89 2600 8122 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/