Re: about the gcc 3.4.x problems

From: Mathew Kanner <mat_at_cnd.mcgill.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:14:37 -0400
On Jul 29, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:33:27AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>
> > As for Midi, I'm sure that the maintainer would be interested in whatever
> > constructive conversation you have, and might even be interested in code
> > that you might have developed to help resolve the situation.
>
> I don't think that's really fair.  The relevant entry from UPDATING is:
>
> 20040601:
>         The MIDI drivers have been removed. Until the new module-friendly
>         ones are merged, remove or comment out midi and seq from your
>         kernel configuration.
>
> which sounds to me like an implicit promise that the "new
> module-friendly one" actually existed at the time, and wouldn't be that
> long in coming.

	Hey Guys,
	Sorry about the problems with MIDI.  At the time, as I saw it,
the current midi didn't work and had no chance of working, and I
supportred removing it regardless of the MIDI drivers I have written.
I've been off-line for a while and haven't been able to work on it (I
don't think it's cool to work on FreeBSD at the office).  In the
meantime, Seigo has imported the new midi framework into P4 (for those
you who ignored the patches I've been posting for about a year).
	For the record, I do ocassionally hear positive reports about
the midi driver...  Which is a nice change from the silence that I
normally hear.
	Anyway, expect some updates "Real Soon Now" (intenet should be
back on tommorow, but I've had bad luck with the monopoly).

	--Mat

--
	The state has no business in the bedrooms of the
	nation.