Re: did gbde on swap destroy some boot sectors?

From: Eugene <eugene3_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:27:56 +0200
 >> but now what happened? why couldnt it boot again?! the last thing i
 >> did was enabling gbde encryption on my swaps... and swap are the
 >> first label on each of the 3 drives...
 >>
 >> i suspect gbde on swap broke something...
 >>
 >> im i wrong or can someone check this please?
 >
 > It's definitely something to look at.. I can't imagine why this
 > should happen, except disklabel issue: where was the swap located
 > and what letter?  Did it happen the same on 3 drives?  If no, were
 > the disklabels the same?

my swap labels are the following ones...

/dev/da0s1b
/dev/da1s1b
/dev/da2s1b

and they are located at the very beginning of all hard drives for speed
reasons...

of course should gbde or swap or any other unwanted code write to the
boot sector, to some inodes or whatever...

but what happened was: i enabled gbde on swap... and after the next
crash the machine disnt boot again...

i update world and kernel (synchronously) at a high rate to be able to
support -current with bugreports and to enjoy some cutting enge
adventures...

until the crash on jul-20 the system was as discussed on the mailinglist
very unstable for about 2 weeks... crash/freeze/etc...

but after i reinstalled everything after that final crash and this time
with -O instead of -O2 in the Makefile (and without gbde swap) no single
crash occured, i was more than surprised... maybe the -O2 does break
more than you may guess - on the other hand maybe someone finaly fixed
the instabilities and i couldnt thank this hacker enough for that good
work...

but maybe someone else experience[d|s] problems with gbde swap... and
those one may add to this thread and help fixing an issue, wich may be
here...

i cant sleep without knowing why it stopped booting...

oh and the other drives were ok it seems... only the first one...
/ could only be mounted my rescure with "mount -f"

/ is my 2nd label if u look at the harddrive from track 0 upwards ;-)

maybe the bootsectors were ok, but the kernel or / was trashed... but
still that shouldnt happen...

it was: F1 FreeBSD... and nothing more... whatever keystroke i typed...

Eugene