Re: did gbde on swap destroy some boot sectors?

From: Scot Hetzel <swhetzel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:24:08 -0500
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:27:56 +0200, Eugene <eugene3_at_web.de> wrote:
> > It's definitely something to look at.. I can't imagine why this
> > should happen, except disklabel issue: where was the swap located
> > and what letter?  Did it happen the same on 3 drives?  If no, were
> > the disklabels the same?
>
> my swap labels are the following ones...
>
> /dev/da0s1b
> /dev/da1s1b
> /dev/da2s1b

What we should be looking at are the disklabels for those devices:

   disklabel /dev/da0s1

As the swap partition could be overlapping with your root partition.
Then when your system crashed, the system wrote to the end of your
swap partition, which wrote over your root partition.

> and they are located at the very beginning of all hard drives for speed
> reasons...

Actually, you want your swap partition as close to the center of the
hard drive as possible to minimize the movement of the drive heads,
thus increasing the speed.

Scot